The Florida Softball team is on the road again this weekend. This time they travel to Lafayette, Louisiana to take on the Ragin’ Cajuns.
The second ranked Gators will play three games in two days against number Louisiana and both these teams are coming into this weekend series 6-0.
Florida Looks to Even the Score
This is the first time since 2002 that the Gators have traveled to Lafayette to take on the Ragin’ Cajuns. In the all-time series record, Louisiana currently leads 4-3. Florida is coming off a 9-0 win against the University of North Florida on Valentine’s Day. Junior right-handed pitcher Kelly Barnhill pitched a no-hitter against UNF; only allowing one runner after hitting her with a pitch. This was Barnhill’s third no-hitter in her career.
Things to Know about the Gators:
- Barnhill recorded 12 strikeouts against UNF
- Senior Kayli Kvistad currently holds the sixth spot in the all-time walk record charts. She’s chasing the number one spot which is held by Lauren Haeger with 175. Kvistad could exceed that this season, she’s at 132 walks.
- The Gators have outscored their opponents 51-3 in the first six games of the season.
- All six true-freshman players have now seen collegiate action.
The last time these two met, the Gators swept the series.
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns
The University of Louisiana-Lafayette comes into Saturday’s match up against the Gators on a high after a 9-4 win over Oregon State. The Ragin’ Cajuns also defeated five other teams at home in the Mardi Gras Classic Tournament the weekend before.
Things to Know about UL-Lafayette:
- Senior pitcher Kylee Jo Trahan is a dual threat for the Ragin’ Cajuns. She can either start the game or close it out.
- The whole Louisiana team is able to overcome obstacles to come out on top of their past opponents.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns moved up six spots in the NFCA poll to No. 16; and in the ESPN/USA Softball ranking, they move up five spots to No. 19.
Louisiana and Florida Meet in Top 25 Softball Series at Lamson Park https://t.co/PZFJrv5A5l
— Ragin' Cajuns (@ULRaginCajuns) February 16, 2018
The Gators-Ragin’ Cajuns matchup will be broadcasted on Cox Sports TV/ESPN3.
These two teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. EST. On Sunday the game will be played at 2 p.m. EST.