Miami native J.D. Martinez is ditching the black and sedona red in Arizona for the white and red in Boston.
Martinez, 30, finalized a $110 million, five-year contract on Monday with the Boston Red Sox. It was reported last week that the deal had already gone through, but the Red Sox did not introduce Martinez as a Red Sox until Monday’s press conference.
Martinez trusts his talent and is ready to get started, he said.
Martinez’s contract with the Red Sox
Martinez’s contract outlines that he can opt-out of the Red Sox after two seasons with the team.
For the first two seasons he will earn $27.5 million each year. If he decides to leave in 2020, there is a $2.5 million buyout, but if he stays, he will earn $23.75 million that year, with $19,275,000, his last two years with the team.
In early 2017, Martinez suffered a right foot injury which put him on the 10-day disabled list, and a month long recovery. If he were to hurt his foot again, the last two seasons would be a mutual option between Martinez and the Red Sox.
— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) February 26, 2018
Martinez’s future at Fenway Park
It’s baseball when it comes to the Red Sox lineup, Martinez said.
Spring training for the Red Sox’s began last week in Fort Myers, Florida, where Martinez joined them, but wasn’t officially on the team yet pending a physical on his right foot.
In the last 119 games, Martinez had a batting average of .303 with 104 RBIs, and 45 home runs.
Last season, the Red Sox’s had a batting average of .258 with 735 RBIs, but ranked in at #27 in home runs with 168.