With her exceptional performance this season, Florida’s Trinity Thomas flipped her into earning the College Gym News Gymnast of the Year award. Additionally, she was named a finalist for the 2023 Honda Award.
Thomas in the 2023 Season
The super senior racked up quite the achievements throughout her 2023 season with the Gators. Some of the most notable include:
- In the history of NCAA history, she is the only gymnast to have at least five 10.0s on each apparatus for five career Gym Slams
- Opened 2023 with nation’s first 10.0 in floor performances against Auburn
- With two 10.0s in a single meet, she is one of two in the history of the SEC Championship meets to do it
- Champion of the SEC all-around (98.80) on uneven bars and floor exercise (10.0)
- 2023 SEC Gymnast of the Year
- WCGA Region V Gymnast of the Year
Despite getting injured during the second round of the NCAA tournament, she fought through the injury and thrived in the semifinal and championship round.
Thomas had a remarkable season with a storybook ending that placed her in a tie for the nation’s career 10.0 record. With Thomas hitting her 28th perfect vault mark, she lead the nation for the third consecutive season in perfect scores: 2021 (4), 2022 (12) and 2023 (8). Also, closely behind the back-to-back champion Oklahoma, the Gators finished as the runner-up for the second year in a row.
The Honda Sports Award
Trinity Thomas’ impressive resume has given her the chance to win the 2023 Honda Award alongside three other athletes. Nominees aside from Thomas include Haleigh Bryant of LSU, Jade Carey of Oregon State and Raena Worley of Kentucky. Moreover, Thomas won the 2022 Honda Award and landed among the final three for the Collegiate Women’s Sports Award (CWSA).
The honor is given annually to the top female athletes in each of the 12 NCAA-sanctioned sports. If chosen as the winner, the athlete becomes a finalist for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year.
On Saturday, Thomas’ journey at Florida came to an end, leaving a legacy of a lifetime as a Gator.