Colorado fun college football
Deion Sanders coaches Colorado in a 45-42 win over No. 17 TCU (Credit LM Otero/AP Photo)

Colorado Football Aims to Regroup After First Loss of Season

The Colorado Buffaloes suffered their first defeat of the college football season. The Buffaloes (3-1, 0-1) fell42-6 to the Oregon Ducks (4-0, 1-0) at Autzen Stadium Saturday afternoon.

Colorado’s offense was unable to find a rhythm all game and wound up with a season-low 40 yards on the ground. Colorado Head Coach Deion Sanders put it as, good old-fashioned butt kicking.

What Happened

The Buffs didn’t play anything like they did in the first few weeks.

Oregon scored on five of its first six possessions, while Colorado had to punt eight consecutive times. Colorado trailed 35-0 at the half but Oregon added another score in the third quarter. It wasn’t until late in the game the Buffs got on the board to avoid being shut out.

Sanders’ team racked up a season-high 12 penalties and made mistakes on both sides of the ball. Buffs quarterback Shedeur Sanders was sacked seven times, but finished with 159 yards passing. While the team had many setbacks, Sanders insisted it wasn’t because of a gap in talent. They didn’t execute well as a whole, he said.

Moving Forward

After Saturday’s setback, Sanders was clear that there’s not just plenty to work on but plenty of time too. While Sanders’ personal conference winning streak came to an end, the first-year coach plans to continue his path for a rebuilding season for the program. The future looks really good and he’s excited about it, Sanders said.

The Buffaloes will look to redeem themselves at home against the No. 8 University of South Carolina  (4-0. 2-0) at 10 a.m. Saturday.

CU must come out with a stronger defensive performance than they displayed Saturday afternoon. USC holds a dominate offense behind Heisman quarterback Caleb Williams. He has 1,200 years passing with 15 touchdown, while hitting 74% of his throws. The Buffs still have an opportunity to move the ball against USC’s shaky defense.

South Carolina is predicted to have an 89.7% chance to win, while Colorado is projected 10.3%.


About Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a sports media focus. She is aspiring for a career in sports media writing/production. Contact her at

Check Also

Doug Pederson Talks Trevor Lawrence Injury

The Jaguars came into Monday night hoping to build on their lead in the division …