Over 55 million viewers were tuned in nationwide to witness the first virtual NFL Draft in history. The SEC topped other conferences with 63 total players drafted from 13 league teams. Seven of those 63 players are former athletes from the University of Florida.
Florida Players Drafted
Gator Nation made a statement during this year’s draft. Florida players were selected in every round but the fifth. Seven former Gator football players will now seize the opportunity to play for new teams this season. Players such as CJ Henderson and Van Jefferson were filled with nothing but excitement when they received the call this weekend. After this year’s selection, these former Gators will now begin their careers playing at the next level..
- CJ Henderson (CB)- Round 1, 9 Overall pick – Jacksonville Jaguars
- Van Jefferson (WR)- Round 2, 57 overall pick- L.A Rams
- Jabari Zuniga (DE)- Round 3, 79 overall pick- New York Jets
- Jonathan Greenard (DL)- Round 3, 90 overall pick- Houston Texans
- La’Mical Perine (RB)- Round 4, 120 overall pick- New York Jets
- Freddie Swain (WR)- Round 6, 214 overall pick- Seattle Seahawks
- Tyrie Cleveland (WR)- Round 7, 252 Overall pick- Denver Broncos
Florida Players Undrafted Also Get NFL Chance
Despite not receiving a call during this year’s selection, four former Gators will also be taking the next step in their NFL careers. Joshua Hammond, David Reese II, Tommy Townsend and Adam Shuler were among the players who missed out this year. However, shortly after the NFL Draft ended, these players signed with teams as free agents.
- Tommy Townsend (Punter)- will be joining the Reigning NFL champion Kansas City Chiefs.
- Joshua Hammond (WR)- picked up by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- David Reese II (LB)- Signed with the Carolina Panthers.
- Adam Shuler (DT)- Signed as with the Arizona Cardinals.