At the beginning of the season, it seemed like the SEC was going to be a three-team race between Florida, Kentucky and Texas A&M. However, with A&M’s subpar start to the conference schedule and with Kentucky underperforming expectations and dropping out of the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2014, the SEC race is completely wide open.
Even with a disappointing loss to South Carolina on Wednesday night, the Gators sit in 2nd place in the conference at 6-2 and have won eight of their past ten.
Gators Leading the Pack
Let’s take a look at how the Gators have been dominating the SEC this season.
- They rank 1st in made three-pointers (189) and 3rd in three-point percentage (37.9%)
- Rank 3rd in points per game at 80.8.
- They have the least turnovers (200 total / 10.0 per game) and have the highest assist/turnover ratio (1.4)
- They have the 2nd best free-throw percentage at 76.3%
- Egor Koulechov (94.6%), Chris Chiozza (90.5%) and KeVaughn Allen (90%) all rank in the top five in the SEC in free-throw percentage
- Jalen Hudson ranks 4th with 16.5 points per game
- Chris Chiozza is 1st in the SEC with 6.2 assists per game and 2nd with 1.9 steals per game
- Kevarrius Hayes ranks 5th with 2.0 blocks per game
- Jalen Hudson ranks 5th in three-pointers made with 48
- Keith Stone ranks 3rd in three-point percentage at 46.8%
- In conference play, the Gators have the top-ranked offensive efficiency (113.9), best turnover percentage (12.5%) and top three-point percentage (40.3%)
The Gators have now outscored SEC opponents by 6.0 points per game, including three double-digit victories. They defeated Texas A&M and Kentucky, both on the road. The Gators have also beaten four ranked opponents away from home this season. No other team in the country has accomplished this feat to date.
While there is still more than half of the SEC slate left to play, the Gators are the favorite to take home the regular season crown. However, with numerous teams bunched at the top of the SEC, it’s anyone’s (regular season) title to snatch. The SEC tournament will be a completely different story.